Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I Hate Roller Coasters / Marathon Training Week #5

Theme park visits were always my least favorite part about summer vacation as a kid. I am short (5'3" on a good day) so I'm breathing everyone's recycled air and I'm stuck in the middle of everyone's body heat. My legs are big so I'd get sweaty and they would chaff something fierce. And then there was the roller coasters. I can't stand them. I'd rather walk across fire than deal with the ups and downs and swiggles (technical term) and cork screws. I'd get woosy and want to vomit every. Single. Time.

And as much as I hate roller coasters, I was like "omg I should totally run a marathon! What an awesome goal!" (Okay look - I count on you people to keep me from making ridiculous, irrational decisions. Ya messed up.)

Marathon training is, by far, the biggest roller coaster I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of being on. I can't tell you how many different emotions I feel towards it one day. Literally. Excited. Nervous. Scared. Pumped up. Let down. All of it. In one big tornado of fun.

Here's to hoping that it all kinda calms down as I get further into training. It didn't help that I had an awful experience at my group run week before last. In short: I didn't have a coach with me, I got lost, finished last as they were packing up the truck and was then told that I had a map and a cell phone so it was my own fault for getting lost. Thanks for that kick in the face, bro. I left feeling absolutely deflated and feeling like I could have saved my $85 and ran for free, by myself. I don't need to pay money to feel bad about myself.

Thankfully, Meg came to my rescue and ran my long run with me on Saturday so I didn't have to run with those folks. It was a wonderful 11 miles! I was pretty sore the day after but it was much better than running alone and feeling like a total loser.

I'm going to give the group one more go this week. If I'm not feeling like it's going to be a good place for me to continue my journey to the marathon, then I'll be asking for a partial refund and I'll continue to train on my own and with friends as their schedules allow.

So - there's the roller coaster of the day. BANANAS. But - all in all - not bad. Just gotta keep on running. AH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!