Wednesday, December 31, 2014

How I'm Gonna Make It Happen

There’s only a couple hours left in 2014 and I’m perusing people’s new year resolutions thinking to myself “how am I going to stay on track in 2015?” Everyone has such lofty goals. Some want to lose 20 pounds (I’m part of this group) and others want to save enough money to buy a new house. Some folks want to go back to school and some want to learn a new trade.
I already touched on my New Year resolution but I feel like there’s going to be more to it than what I originally stated.

I’m going to kick the soda habit once and for all. Starting tomorrow, January 1, 2015, I’m just going to quit. This isn’t going to be difficult. We don’t keep it in the house and I wont be at work for the first five days of the year. That’s enough time for me to get past the caffeine headaches and the sleepy mornings.

But what I’m really looking to do means doing what I need to do as far as nutrition and physical activity every day. And that is a really huge thing to try to commit to. Every day? EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. No matter what. That’s really enough to make me vomit.

So here are a couple of individual things I plan on doing most days. Life will get in the way. I will need a night where I lay around and drink wine and not kill it at the gym. There will be days where the gym and a run will simply fall to the side because of other responsibilities. And that’s ok. But, generally speaking, these are going to be my top 5 ways to ensure success of my goals for 2015:
1.       I am not going to weigh myself.
This should be rather easy. The scale is already put away and I have no interest in seeing where I’m starting the year off. I’m instead taking weekly “progress photos” which will be a much better indicator of progress than some bastard number on a scale.
2.       I am going to eat for fuel and not for fun. I will eat because I’m hungry and not because I’m bored or needing a quick snack to make me feel better. Food is fuel – that’s it, that’s all. If I don’t want to steam some broccoli to eat then I’m not truly hungry. Period.
3.       I’m going to start each day fresh. Every day will be a new opportunity to eat the right things, do the right workout and to treat myself with kindness. One day at a time. No more of this “let me plan the entirety of my month and when I miss a workout or something derails, I’m going to go into a fit of panic” – that’s ridiculous and it makes me very tired. One day at a time planning.
4.       I’m going to list things my body CAN DO instead of the things it can’t. Trust me, the CAN list is a lot longer than CAN’T.  (I CAN run a marathon, I CAN squat 200lbs, I CAN nearly bench press my weight).
5.       I will not compare myself to others. Just because they are thinner/taller/prettier/whatever doesn’t mean that they have everything. There’s a lot more to me than my physical appearance or running pace. It’s time I give myself credit for all the things I am and not compare to only the things I can see.

I figure that  if I do these things, the rest will fall into place.


Cheers to a new year, everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!